Monday, March 8

The Melbourne Storm

Our Sydney CD Matt Batten was in Melbourne for a wild weekend. Here's his story:

Now I know how Melbourne's NRL team got their name. I was in Melbourne for the 16th Annual AIMIA Awards on Friday night. On Saturday, I got caught out in the worst weather the city has possibly ever seen.

I've never seen weather turn so violent so quickly before in my life.

The day was overcast and had the air of rain about it, so we headed for a store to buy an umbrella. While my wife stood at the register, I cast a look out the window and saw the light instantly sapped from the day. It was like the sun had just set. At 3pm.

In the short seconds it took for me to get to the shop's door, the skies opened with hailstones the size of 20-cent pieces. Within a few minutes the stones were accompanied by a downpour.

Here are the photos I snapped of it.

Little Bourke Street became a raging torrent within a minute.


This driver heads upstream along Little Bourke St to escape Elizabeth Street which lies at the lowest point.


That's not just water flowing down Little Bourke St to flood Elizabeth St, it's a sludge of ice. Note the sulo bins floating away.


Elizabeth St is now under a foot of water and ice. The Elizabeth St glacier.


Ten minutes later, it all ended. The Plane Trees along Elizabeth St had been almost stripped of their leaves.


Any underground access acted like a drain. You wouldn't want to have been down there during the storm.


This Melbourne winebar had a sense of humour about it.

No comments: